MATE Seminars Design & Pricing Crash Course Seminar
The MATE Seminars Group and Health Design and Pricing Crash Course seminar will be pre-recorded. The seminar includes a review of only the most challenging syllabus topics. This seminar is perfect for the person who has a basic understanding of general pricing topics from the syllabus through prior study or industry experience. It is also perfect for the person who wants a fast-paced review of the difficult topics back-to-back, without detailed discussions of the prerequisite knowledge. The focus is on complex exam-type questions, with the primary emphasis being on math questions. If you have a pricing background and a general understanding of group health insurance products, this seminar will leverage that knowledge to focus on how to answer exam questions.
You can register on this site by purchasing either the seminar alone or the everything package, which offers a reduced rate when also purchasing the study manual and note cards.
You may also register by mailing us a check and a registration form.
A 40% discount is available if your employer does not pay for seminars nor reimburse you if you pass the exam. Please contact us prior to ordering for the coupon code to receive this discount.
What the Seminar Offers
- Seminar manual with all of the syllabus content, arranged for a natural progression of topics
- Math problems are answered in a clear and easy-to-follow spreadsheet format
- Challenging math topics are explained in simplified illustrative spreadsheet examples
- Detailed summaries of past exams – useful for understanding what types of questions make up the distribution of exam points
- Practice questions where written explanations require general knowledge and industry experience
- A case study review with a discussion of the more complicated exhibits, and a cross reference to applicable math questions
- 2nd attempt: Extended access for the next exam season is available – see our seminar extension policy for details
Seminar practice problems include:
- A large set of math problems, both original and from past FSA exams
- Digital copies of the tables used in these problems for practicing answering questions like you will do on the exam
- List of past exam math questions indicating the source of the SOA’s illustrative solution
- Solutions to difficult math problems in a spreadsheet format
Seminar exam strategies include:
- A live exam strategy session will be held virtually on Sep. 11th at 3pm PST (a recording will be made available)
- An explanation of how the exams are graded to provide insight on how candidates can better answer their exam questions
- Suggestions on successfully preparing for the exam and answering the different types of exam questions
- How to best provide answers for the new CBT exam format
- Specific examples from past SOA questions that exploit common pitfalls, and how to deal with them
- The instructor offers his support for the whole exam season by being available to discuss your questions
- A table of contents with links to watch each topic and practice problem discussed at the seminar
- A discussion forum (Discord), to ask the instructor current questions and access previously-answered questions
– – – – About the Instructor – – – –
FSA, MAAA, MS
Dustin has a diverse array of work experience including benefits consulting, health insurance actuarial roles, experimental design statistician, and a university instructor. Dustin enjoys discussing how math and models combine to explain occurrences in our everyday world. He has earned a master’s degree in Statistics with an emphasis in Actuarial Science. He is in his sixth year of teaching with MATE Seminars, and teaches all of our Group and Health seminars. When not at work, Dustin loves being active outside, practicing yoga, and riding motorcycles.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –